Next to Arroz Caldo, Chicken Tinola is the next best thing I make whenever me or anyone in my household is feeling under the weather. I put lots of ginger to help the body fight off whatever sickness we have. Plus, the addition of spinach and chayote makes this a super nutritious comforting meal packed with vitamins and antioxidants.
Chicken Tinola Recipe!
This is one of my favorite Filipino foods to make for my family because
1. It’s super easy to make
2. It’s inexpensive
3. It’s healthy and nourishing
4. Everybody devours it
All you need are a handful of ingredients: chicken, chayote, spinach, onion, garlic and ginger. The secret it letting the chicken boil slowly to let all the flavors blend well together. It’s best enjoyed with white rice and a side of fish sauce (Patis).
The traditional way of cooking chicken tinola is with malungay leaves but since that’s hard to come by, spinach is a great alternative.
How To Make Chicken Tinola
- In a large, cast iron dutch oven, heat up the avocado oil to medium heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger and onion and sauté for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken legs and then add them to the pot.
- Brown the chicken on all sides.
- Add the fish sauce and stir.
- Add the water and Bouillon seasoning.
- Bring it to a boil and remove the scum that floats to the top.
- Reduce heat, add the chayote and and simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
- Taste and season as you see fit.
- Turn off the heat and add the spinach, stirring it all around until it gets wilted.
- Serve with white rice and a side of fish sauce (optional).
More Filipino Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Large Cutting Board
- Large Dutch Oven
- Chef's Knife
- 5 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 1 Large ginger about 6 inches long
- 3 Large chayote, cut up
- 5 oz Baby Spinach
- 8 Chicken Legs
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp Bouillon from the jar
- 6 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven or heavy stock pot, heat up the avocado oil on medium heat and saute the garlic, onion and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper and add the chicken legs and brown on all sides.
- Add the fish sauce and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water and the Bouillon. Cover and and let it come to a boil.
- Remove the scum that has floated up to the top and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chayote that has been cut up and let it cook for about 5 more minutes or until the chayote is easily cut with a fork.
- Turn off the heat on the stove and add the spinach. Mix well.
- Serve with white rice and a side of fish sauce.