This creamy version of Filipino Style Chicken Curry is cooked in curry spices, coconut milk and fish sauce. The mild curry flavor is perfect for the kids so this is a meal your whole family will enjoy.
Filipino Style Chicken Curry Recipe!
Another one-pot meal for the win! Don’t you just love it when you only have one pot to clean up after making a meal that looks gourmet? This is one of those meals!
Makes makes this Filipino Style Chicken Curry “Filipino-Style” is the Patis (fish sauce) that is added in the cooking process. The chicken legs are slowly simmered in coconut milk, mild curry spice, fish sauce and some chicken broth and the outcome is this creamy, decadent curry chicken dish.
Make sure you use the full fat coconut milk (I got mine from Costco) and the fish sauce I used is the Red Boat brand found on Amazon. It’s a little pricier than your traditional Thai or Filipino branded fish sauces but a much cleaner and healthier version. The Red Boat brand fish sauce has only two ingredients: anchovies and sea salt.
Make this filipino style chicken curry any day of the week for a hearty and comforting meal. It also heats up well so make sure you double the batch and save some for another day!
How To Make Filipino-Style Chicken Curry
- First you’ll want to prep all your veggies and ingredients so that everything is easily accessible. Cut up your veggies and open your can of coconut milk.
- In a large dutch oven pot, heat up the cooking oil to medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the pot and brown the chicken on all sides.
- When the chicken is halfway cooked, add the fish sauce and mix well.
- Add the coconut milk, water, and bouillon seasoning and stir all the ingredients well together.
- Add the curry powder and mix well.
- Turn the heat on a low to medium simmer and let this cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and cook for another 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Be careful not to overcook the vegetables! There is nothing worse than mushy potatoes and carrots when that wasn’t your intention.
- Serve this with plain white rice.
More Filipino Recipes You’ll Love
Filipino-Style Chicken Curry
- Large Dutch Oven Pot
- Cutting Board
- Wooden Slotted Spoon
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 7-8 Large Chicken Legs
- 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Red Boat Fish Sauce
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tbsp Bouillon seasoning
- 1 13.5 oz Can of Coconut milk
- 1 Potato, cut in quarters
- 2 Carrots, cut same size as potatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven pot, heat up the cooking oil on medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and diced onions and sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken legs and brown on all sides.
- Add the fish sauce and mix well with the chicken legs.
- Add the water, bouillon seasoning and coconut milk and mix well together.
- Add the curry powder and mix.
- Let this simmer on low to medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Mix well and put the cover back on the dutch oven. Cook the vegetables until they are soft.
- Best served with plain white rice.