No need to resort to take-out with this simple and easy SPAM Fried Rice recipe that takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish. It’s the perfect weekend breakfast or quick dinner you can whip up during a busy week.
So good, your kids will be asking for more!
Spam Fried Rice Recipe!
Gosh, I LOVE SPAM!
Breakfast on weekdays at my house usually consist of cereal, frozen waffles or a quick veggie scramble. Basically, the objective is to get everyone ready, fed and out the door so everyone gets to where they need to be on time. So when Saturdays come around, we like to stay it slooooow. There is nothing better than lazy Saturday mornings where we wake up without an alarm, stay in our pajamas, turn on the cartoons while I cook up a hearty breakfast.
One of my kids favorites is SPAM Fried Rice. I mean, who doesn’t love SPAM? A classic Filipino breakfast usually consists of a meat, fried eggs and rice. It’s not the healthiest of breakfasts but hey, once in a while is OK! But making a fried rice version of that classic allows me to add veggies that the kids don’t complain about eating.
With just a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand, you can whip up this delicious SPAM Fried Rice recipe for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even as an after school snack.
The best part? This is a one pot meal and requires minimal clean up time, because who wants to spend their Saturdays doing chores? Not me!
How to Make SPAM Fried Rice
The trick with making any fried rice is to make sure you prep all the ingredients before hand. Because this recipe calls for cold rice, it’s best to make the rice at least the day before and leave it in the fridge overnight. Cooking fried rice with cold rice versus warm or just cooked rice is the consistency. Warm or newly cooked rice will turn on gummy and mushy and that’s not what we’re going for.
- Prep all your ingredients by finely dicing the garlic and shallots and setting it aside. Then open up a can of Spam and cut it into small bite-size cubes. Place the frozen veggies in a small bowl.
- Heat up your wok to medium heat and fry the Spam in avocado oil for about 4-5 minutes. On a paper towel lined plate, set it aside.
- Add the butter in the wok and add the garlic and shallots. Pay attention to this and quickly stir to make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the rice, frozen veggies, soy sauce and freshly ground pepper and mix.
- Add back the SPAM to the rice and gently mix it so its nicely distributed in the rice.
- You can add a fried egg and drizzle a little Sriracha sauce on top which is my favorite way of eating Spam Fried Rice!
Other Delicious Fried Rice Recipes You’ll Love
Spam Fried Rice
- rice cooker
- Rice Spatula
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- 1 Head of garlic minced
- 1 Large shallot diced
- 1 Can of Spam cut in small cubes
- 1/2 pound Frozen Veggies
- 3 cups Cold Day Old Rice It's important that the rice is cold to achieve the best results.
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1/4 cup Butter
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- In a large wok, heat up the avocado oil on medium heat and fry the cubed Spam for 3-4 minutes until cooked evenly on all sides. Set the Spam aside on a platter lined with paper towels.
- Add the butter to the wok, and add the shallots and garlic stirring constantly. Garlic burns easily so make sure to keep a careful eye on this.
- Add the rice and work quickly to break it up in the wok.
- Add the frozen veggies, soy sauce and fresh ground pepper and mix together well with the rice. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked spam rice and gently fold it in with the rice and rest of the ingredients.
- Top with fresh parsley or green onion (optional)
- Serve with a fried egg and a drizzle of Sriracha sauce (optional)